ASK THE EXPERTS: WHERE CAN I FIND WATERMELON WITH SEEDS?

MATTHEW L. OF INDIANAPOLIS, IN ASKS: Where can I get seeded watermelon? I would like to have them shipped to me or I’ll pick them up.

I hear you loud and clear, Matthew. It seems like all you can find these days are seedless watermelons, but every now and then, for old time’s sake, it would be nice to have one with seeds, right?

While the seedless and mini varieties have taken over in popularity and demand, there certainly are still many folks who grow and sell the seeded watermelons, oblong in shape, chock full of black seeds. I get a lot of comments from people who remember the long, sweet watermelons of their youth and do not think that the seedless varieties are as good, but there is no science that supports the notion that a seeded watermelon is sweeter than a seedless.

If you really have a yearning for seeded watermelons, there are two things you can do: 1) check your local farmers’ markets and 2) talk to your local produce manager at your grocery store. He can take the request up to the store’s buyers. If a buyer believes that his customers will buy a seeded watermelon, he’ll be more apt to supply for the store. If he won’t stock
seeded watermelon (which isn’t likely), ask him if he knows where you might find some.

Hope this helps,
The Watermelon Guy

Comments

1. Ellen says:

I eat seeded or seedless watermelon but I prefer seedless. Who wants to pick out all those seeds, it’s just to much work.

I also prefer seedless watermelon, but every now and then a watermelon with seeds is nice. I guess it’s sort of nostalgic for me. The seeds remind me of eating watermelon during my childhood.

3. Julie says:

The seeds are good for you and if put all together all pretty tasty. I was on a special diet years ago that required you to eat the seeds. I acquired a taste for them. But I cannot find them. I can find pumpkin seeds (roasted). Why not watermelon seeds! No need to pick them out at all, just eat them!

4. Faye says:

Consider what they have to do to the watermelons to make them seedless, which is completely UNnatural. It involves chemicals and genetically altering the seeds that grow the seedless watermelon. There is a lot of genetic modification going on with our foods, being done mostly by chemical companies. Hmmm… chemicals and food… a questionable combination at best. Did you know that they are even putting animal cells or HUMAN cells in certain vegetables??? Oh yes, it is a mad scientist ugly thing going on. Educate yourself. There’s more to watermelon with seeds than just the “inconvenience” of spitting out seeds. It’s REAL watermelon. The other stuff… not so much!

5. Lynn says:

I would love to find the seeded watermelons. They taste so much better and sweeter than those seedless bland tasting ones. I broke down and bought another seedless one today and it absolutely had not flavor at all. I am afraid that american people are getting too lazy to eat good food and prefer the cardboard taste of seeless melons. I guess next spring I will plant my own so I can have them during the summer.

6. Ray says:

THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUE WATERMELON AND IT HAS SEEDS. THE SEEDLESS VARIETIES ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE AND SHOULD MAYBE BE CALLED WANNABEWATERMELON!!!

7. Joan says:

I agree with Lynn from July 11, 2011. I do think people in this country are lazy when it comes to eating. Everyone is in such a rush, I don’t think they enjoy the simple joys in life, like a seeded watermelon. it reminds me of Lent when shad is in season, I can remember having a date with my grandmother, and enjoying a whole fish with bones, and WOW what a difference in tasting a SHAD Fish when it has bones, in it. But it is work, but the flavor is wonderful…Folks, take the time and enjoy the simple joys in Life!!!!!
    Joan

8. Bill says:

I want watermelons with seeds. Not one store around my area carries them. They all carry the smaller, seedless variety that have zero flavor. Did someone just decide that the consumer wants these small watermelons? Help National Watermelon Promotion Board!

9. Sonja says:

I agree that there is really only one TRUE watermelon and it has seeds. ANything else as one guy said is wanna be watermelon. I am going to start going to the produce manager’s in the stores I spend my money and ask for REAL watermelon, the ones oblong with seeds. I started buying my off the trucks but haven’t even seen them lately.

10. Stephen Blackpool says:

Watermelon seeds are the greatest things for the kidneys that you can put into the body. Dr Bernard Jensen, Foods That Heal.

11. Fujite says:

I really miss the good old seeded watermelons, the seedless variety simply does not compare in taste. I don’t even eat watermelon anymore since all I can find are seedless.

12. Ray says:

I love NATURAL NONE GMO Fruits and vegetables & HATE GMO.
    Actually most of the nutrients and “Embryonic Cells” are inside the SEEDS. People that spit the seeds out are IDIOTS !!!

Unfortunately IDIOTS rule our nation’s food supply.

13. Ruth says:

When the natural process was altered we lost much more than seeds. Anyone who claims the taste was unaffected wasn’t around or didn’t care much about the watermelons (circa 60s-70s) that capped off summer picnics or a childhood of anticipation after the hotdog roast on a Sunday evening … there is a mountain of difference in the taste. I love watermelon, always have, but the pale, bland, seedless variety sold today does nothing to satisfy! Time and again I buy a melon that looks great and passes the thump test only to throw it out. The one I bought yesterday tasted more like cucumber than a watermelon. God made a perfect fruit … why does man think he can do better? Nature rules!

14. Melissa says:

I was at a 4th of July barbecue and had seedless “watermelon” at the end. It was tasteless and no where near what I remember as a kid growing up. Even if they did (seedless) taste the same, I’d still want the seeds back because it was perfect the way it was. Oh for a oblong, red, juicy, sweet, full of black seeds, unaltered watermelon! Yum!

15. Sara says:

I grow up with seeds. The melon has a better taste, then those without. Where can I find them in the St. Louis, Missouri area?

16. lynn says:

Mountain Valley Seed Co has all the seeded melon choices you’ll want. They are a very good source of wide variety of bulk seeds. I love shopping their website. Been years since I’ve purchased seeds from other producers.

17. Pete Hoffman says:

The seedless watermelons are just unflavorfull why not just take awet piece of paper and eat it. Thats what the new seedless watermelons taste like. Come on Growers bring back the real watermelons !!!!!!!!!!

18. Dan says:

No one seems to have mentioned my biggest complaint re. the seedless watermelons. The seedless melons leave you with a terrible sicky sweet aftertaste resulting in a very unsatisfying experience.

19. Rick says:

One of my fondest memories of summer is cracking open a giant, oblong, dark green, bright red inside, sweet as honey watermelon. Seeds never where an issue. Now, if you’re lucky and actually get a semi sweet almost ripe wal-mart special and fight for the very center piece you might get some resemblance of sweetness. If it’s not broke, why fix it?

20. Jennifer says:

I am so relieved to find that others agree about the seedless imposters being bland. I’ve also wondered who made the executive decision to get rid of the seeds. We now have at least 2 generations who, for the most part, don’t know what REAL food tastes like. I also noticed that the seedless varieties have a different texture (more grainy or mealy? ). I’m an 1980′s child who remembers and cherishes food the way it used to be. This year I am going to scour the farmer’s markets and ask for the long lost seeded watermelon. If I had the space I would grow my own!

21. Cristian says:

Hey all, seeded watermelons rule! Can’t even compare seeded vs seedless. It’s even wrong to say “seeded”. Rather, it is normal/natural. Seedless is tasteless, sometimes too sweet (like twice sweet, unnatural sweet) and it takes too much effort and unhealthy chemicals to produce.

So for all of you craving seeded watermelons, in the Chicagoland area ALDI is thr only place to get them. A bit pricier than seedless but well worth it. Starting from May until about September each year, some Aldi stores in my area have non stop stock of seeded. They taste great and a quite big. We buy seeded watermelon almost every 2-3 days and they seem to never run out of stock. So, if your Aldi does not have seeded watermelons start talking with the right people and you might get lucky. Tell them about Chicagoland stores.

22. Ellene says:

I agree with you Jennifer. I miss the watermelons that I had in the 50′s 60′s and 70′s. Who’s idea was it to have “seedless” watermelons anyway? They are in no way as good. They also are not really seedless those tiny seeds are a pain. At least with the big black ones you could just spit them out or pick them out of the watermelon. Now the little ones have to be picked out of your teeth.

23. Getaclueblue says:

How can I teach grandchildren how to spit watermelon seeds if they don’t exist anymore?

24. Leah Debord says:

I love sweet juicy red seeded watermelon and can’t seem to get it anymore. It turns out I cannot even eat seedless as I have an allergy and my throat itches terribly when I eat it. Seedless NEVER affected me in that way at all. I chalk it up to all the nasty modifications being done to our foods.

25. drjekeenan says:

I am SO jonsing for an “regular” watermelon. The kind that can be seen in movies like “Dirty Dancing”, capsule shaped behemoths that had plenty of seeds to spit. Does ANYONE know where I can find one? The basketball shaped, seedless fruit that is being passed off as a watermelon is more than a disappointment.

26. ronss says:

seeded watermelon are so much sweeter…i am so mad that i cannot find seeded watermelon today…..all you can find is the tastless seedless…they taste like the rine

27. Cristian says:

Hey all,
    Here are the places where I buy my seeded watermelon (and usually it comes from the same source): ALDI and WAL-MART. Yes, some Walmart store have it. I live in Chicago, but I’ve seen seeded watermlon in a Wisconsin Walmart too.

28. Luke says:

It’s great reading all these comments. I am a wholesale watermelon grower for local markets, and I grow both seeded and seedless varieties. Farmers are at the mercy of the demand of the market, which is unfortunately headed to all seedless. They are produced from a result of a natural genetic mutation – not a genetically modified or laboratory-made modification. The plant has an extra chromosome; 3 instead of 2 which inhibits meiosis. Therefore, producing infertile seeds – technically not seedless. To get the sweetest seedless watermelon go to a roadside stand where they are picked fresh, at the peak of ripeness and I would expect you to say they are no different then their seeded counterparts. It has everything to do with the time of harvesting versus seeded or seedless.