I’ve talked in the past about the many ways to enjoy watermelon, beyond the usual wedges and chunks. Don’t get me wrong: there’s absolutely nothing wrong with chomping on an ice-cold watermelon wedge on a hot summer day, but I guarantee that you’ll love watermelon even more once you expand your horizons to include things like adding watermelon to a salad or using watermelon in beverages.
A friend recently emailed me a link to a story about “.” I was happy when I realized that I had already tried many of the methods suggested in the article. Below are a few highlights from the piece. I’ve also included the methods below (and a few others) in this month’s blog poll. Check it out on the right, and feel free to choose as many answers that apply to you!
1. ICE CUBES – Basically, you freeze watermelon cubes and add them to your drinks. They keep your beverages cold AND provide a tasty snack when you’re done sipping!
2. POPSICLE – Cut a small watermelon wedge, shove a popsicle stick in the bottom, and stick it in the freezer. Boom – you’ve got a watermelon popsicle.
3. SALSA – Add some diced watermelon to any salsa (from a jar or one you make yourself) to add a touch of sweetness to your spicy dish.
4. GRILLED CHEESE – Next time you’ve got some bread and cheese, add a thin slice of watermelon, and grill that baby to create a delicious lunch.
5. PICKLED RINDS – I’ve talked about this in the past. Don’t throw that rind away…pickle it!
6. ROASTED SEEDS – This is another part of the watermelon that often gets tossed out. If you’ve got a watermelon with seeds, keep ‘em and roast ‘em up!
UP NEXT: A watermelon sandwich for breakfast?