BEHIND THE WATERMELON: THE YELLOW FLESH

yellowfleshImagine biting into an apple and discovering the inside is blue. Or cutting into an orange and seeing a nice shade of green. It might freak you out a little bit, right? Maybe make you think twice about eating it?

That’s what the Yellow Flesh watermelon is like. The normally pinkish-red flesh we’re used to seeing in watermelon is, well, yellow. But it shouldn’t freak you out because it’s supposed to be that way. And you should definitely eat it because it’s delicious.

The Yellow Flesh – also known as the Yellow Crimson, and the almost identical twin of the red-fleshed Crimson Sweet – is described by some as having a sweeter, almost honey-like taste than regular watermelons. I’ve never had a yellow flesh watermelon, but based on that description, I’m now dying to try one.

Related to the Yellow Flesh is the Desert King Yellow watermelon (with a yellowish, light green exterior and prized for being able to grow in dry conditions), the Yellow Flesh Black Diamond watermelon, the Tastigold watermelon and a few other similar varieties. You can read more about the yellow fleshed family here.

What’s funny is, from the outside, the Yellow Flesh looks just like any other watermelon. It might actually make for a nice little prank, substituting your mother or cousin’s traditional watermelon with one of these varieties and then enjoying the show while they cut into it for the first time. Okay, maybe it’s not that funny, but I’d get a chuckle out of it.

Comments

1. yella_mellon says:

Haha i just cut into a yellow watermelon and it was so cool. It was definitely a suprise, but it tasted pretty good.

2. Kim Pennington says:

I accidentally bought one for my daughters party. The kids looked at me funny, but they actually liked it. It was pretty good.

3. Denise says:

I bought another watermelon since the last couple were mushy inspire. And much to my dismay I cut open my new fresh one and it was yellow. I was so frustrated since you really can’t return cut opened fruit. Then I looked it up online and it is normal for some watermelons to be yellow not pink. They look exactly the same on the outside. We tried it and we’re pleasantly surprised.

4. Sunil Varanasi says:

I just got one from Walmart and I got surprised to see yellow…its good and yummy.

5. Jayne says:

Just came back from the shore to Warminster. Did not know I bought a yellow watermelon! Served it at our Democratic Fundraiser Picnic! I hope more people vote against the normal!

6. Heather says:

my coworker just brought some in, I thought she was eating pineapple.
    I will have to say this is by far the most delicious fruit I have ever eaten. its definitely sweeter and does have a honey like after taste. I absolutely love it.

7. terry atkinson says:

I was thinking something was wrong with it. But it taste good. Thanks for the information.

8. laura says:

Surprised too! Slightly different seems less sugary but really delicious

9. Robert says:

I bought what I thought was going to be a seedless watermelon, and cut it open to find it yellow. I thought it was rotten maybe. But no this was the best watermelon I have had all year. I purchased mine at the Navy Commissary in Charleston SC. My wife and kids refuse to eat it, but there loss because it very very good.

10. Kay says:

Love watermelon. Very surprised to see bright lemon looking yellow color. Very good.
    Purchased at walmart.

11. Loraine says:

I went to our Farmer’s Market in Prescott, AZ and thought I had picked out a regular watermelon and found that it was yellow inside. My husband and me truly like the taste better than the red. It has a honey sweet taste.

12. goodfoodeveryday.wordpress says:

Seems they are appearing everywhere, we jad a bright yellow one today in Malta, was delicious….

13. Melon Man says:

I was surprised and loved it. When I first opened it, it was one of those “What the ….”

14. Susan says:

I recently had my first yellow watermelon! Yummy! One of the workers at the produce store recommended it, and she also said to eat the rind as well. She showed me a cut section and pointed out how the rind is very thin – not like other watermelons with a thick skin. Wow – it was fantastic! Crunchy but not hard at all!

15. Chris says:

I won the watermelon lottery!!
    a friend and I went shopping together, we both bought watermelon’s, except her melons were yellow on the inside. Crazy it’s definitely delicious try it if you get the chance.