BEHIND THE WATERMELON: THE YELLOW FLESH

yellowfleshImagine biting into an apple and discovering the inside is blue. Or cutting into an orange and seeing a nice shade of green. It might freak you out a little bit, right? Maybe make you think twice about eating it?

That’s what the Yellow Flesh watermelon is like. The normally pinkish-red flesh we’re used to seeing in watermelon is, well, yellow. But it shouldn’t freak you out because it’s supposed to be that way. And you should definitely eat it because it’s delicious.

The Yellow Flesh – also known as the Yellow Crimson, and the almost identical twin of the red-fleshed Crimson Sweet – is described by some as having a sweeter, almost honey-like taste than regular watermelons. I’ve never had a yellow flesh watermelon, but based on that description, I’m now dying to try one.

Related to the Yellow Flesh is the Desert King Yellow watermelon (with a yellowish, light green exterior and prized for being able to grow in dry conditions), the Yellow Flesh Black Diamond watermelon, the Tastigold watermelon and a few other similar varieties. You can read more about the yellow fleshed family here.

What’s funny is, from the outside, the Yellow Flesh looks just like any other watermelon. It might actually make for a nice little prank, substituting your mother or cousin’s traditional watermelon with one of these varieties and then enjoying the show while they cut into it for the first time. Okay, maybe it’s not that funny, but I’d get a chuckle out of it.

Comments

1. Penny Grace says:

I purchased a “moon and stars” yellow flesh watermelon form My Organic Market last summer. It was expensive but it was worth it. It was very sweet; however, I don’t think I will buy a whole one again. I like the red seeded watermelons the best!

2. yella_mellon says:

Haha i just cut into a yellow watermelon and it was so cool. It was definitely a suprise, but it tasted pretty good.

3. Kim Pennington says:

I accidentally bought one for my daughters party. The kids looked at me funny, but they actually liked it. It was pretty good.

4. Denise says:

I bought another watermelon since the last couple were mushy inspire. And much to my dismay I cut open my new fresh one and it was yellow. I was so frustrated since you really can’t return cut opened fruit. Then I looked it up online and it is normal for some watermelons to be yellow not pink. They look exactly the same on the outside. We tried it and we’re pleasantly surprised.

5. Sunil Varanasi says:

I just got one from Walmart and I got surprised to see yellow…its good and yummy.

6. Jayne says:

Just came back from the shore to Warminster. Did not know I bought a yellow watermelon! Served it at our Democratic Fundraiser Picnic! I hope more people vote against the normal!

7. Heather says:

my coworker just brought some in, I thought she was eating pineapple.
    I will have to say this is by far the most delicious fruit I have ever eaten. its definitely sweeter and does have a honey like after taste. I absolutely love it.

8. terry atkinson says:

I was thinking something was wrong with it. But it taste good. Thanks for the information.

9. laura says:

Surprised too! Slightly different seems less sugary but really delicious

10. Robert says:

I bought what I thought was going to be a seedless watermelon, and cut it open to find it yellow. I thought it was rotten maybe. But no this was the best watermelon I have had all year. I purchased mine at the Navy Commissary in Charleston SC. My wife and kids refuse to eat it, but there loss because it very very good.

11. Kay says:

Love watermelon. Very surprised to see bright lemon looking yellow color. Very good.
    Purchased at walmart.

12. Loraine says:

I went to our Farmer’s Market in Prescott, AZ and thought I had picked out a regular watermelon and found that it was yellow inside. My husband and me truly like the taste better than the red. It has a honey sweet taste.

13. goodfoodeveryday.wordpress says:

Seems they are appearing everywhere, we jad a bright yellow one today in Malta, was delicious….

14. Charles Bodenheimer says:

My first year growing melons and pumpkins. I harvested my first jubilee a few weeks ago but got my first “yellowhammer”today. Since I’m from Alabama and it’s the brother of the Crimson Sweet. Was very sweet and had an onion like flavor near the rind due to weld onions nearby and only thing pollinating is wasps, but that flavor gave way to a honey flavor immediately. Waiting on my Charleston Greys, Crimson Sweets, Sugar Babies, and my hybrid jubilee/sugar babies to grow.

15. Melon Man says:

I was surprised and loved it. When I first opened it, it was one of those “What the ….”

16. Susan says:

I recently had my first yellow watermelon! Yummy! One of the workers at the produce store recommended it, and she also said to eat the rind as well. She showed me a cut section and pointed out how the rind is very thin – not like other watermelons with a thick skin. Wow – it was fantastic! Crunchy but not hard at all!

17. Chris says:

I won the watermelon lottery!!
    a friend and I went shopping together, we both bought watermelon’s, except her melons were yellow on the inside. Crazy it’s definitely delicious try it if you get the chance.

18. Kasi says:

Thank you for sharing this info. When I cut open my watermelon today I also got a yellow surpise!
    I thought I had picked a mutant melon, or it was new sour melon variety, or maybe Bunnicula came in the night and sucked the color out of thing! And to our delight it does taste good. Still has the watermelon flavor but it is not as bold, and also not as much sticky juice all over. I’ll try to buy one again if I can find it. Although, as others have said, there was no sticker saying it’s yellow.

19. Katie Hunsperger says:

OMG just cut into one from a local farmers market. Freaked me out, but looked it upon on the Web and found this article so we gave it a try. It is absolutely delicious!!!!!

20. Crystal says:

My dad planted some when I was a kid. They were amazing! Best watermelon I’ve ever tasted.

21. PAUL J. HINTERSTEINER says:

Dear Editor, Author, or persons authorized to give copyright permission.

I am writing to you to get the permission to use your articles in my book The Foodpedia Fresh Fruits and Vegetables books series and other books will follow, on the history of other items in the food world. That will help the people of the world to eat and stay Healthier.
I care and I hope you care about passing on to the new generation to stay Healthier.

(REMEMBER SHARING IS CARING!)
I am writing these books to “give back” my knowledge to the next generation of people, all over this world. I writing these books to educate the people about the advantages of eating “Fresh Fruits” and “Fresh Vegetables” and how they can help themselves to have a healthier body, and the foods that are not good for a healthy body.

I got your name from the website. On the Fruit you wrote about. I have your name on the information that I used, so that you will get all the credit on it. I do not want the credit for your works.
    You’re the one that did all the research on the food items. I have to rely on you for all this knowledge and your researchers.
I praise you for this, that is why I want you to get all the credit you put in to these articles.
I have to rely on your help to teach and training our next generation to live healthier. Then living on all this junk food and all the chemical’s they put into the foods we eat today.
That is why we are the product of this generation of obesity etc. We have to help our new generation to eat and stay healthier so they can have a better life, then being sick and overweight all the time.
The world is changing and we have to change with it NOW for our kid’s sake.
This is the 21st Century NOW, and we have to do something about it NOW!

I am on a movement (mission) of caring and share to help, not to make the same mistake this generation and our pass generations has made, to help them live healthier lives better then we did.
But I need your help to get this mission (movement) going. I need your permission to let this happen, to use your research in food, to train and educate the people of the world to eat healthier.
Remember the people will go to your website for more updates. Because you are always updating it, that I cannot do.
Can you please e-mail the permission letter to authorize me to use your articles in my books (The History of Fresh Fruits. { Foodpedia The History of Fresh Fruit }) I have about 166 chapters of some of the fresh fruit used around the world, with over 5,000 color and about 5,000 pages).

Can you please email {[email protected] } with your permission to use your articles so we can help the this and the next generation to live and be healthier.
Thank You Chef Paul J. Hintersteiner
Enclosed is the website of the articles I need permission on

1.http://www.whataboutwatermelon.com/index.php/2009/07/behind-the-watermelon-the-yellow-flesh/

Your website is list in each article and the person who wrote it,
    I am on a quest to safe the next generation from our generation with all the poison the was used and is still put into our food.
    I am asking you to join this quest to save this and the next generation, and to have a healthier life. Chef Paul

Hi This is the second time I am writing you to get permission to you your article(s) in my book The History of Fresh Fruit. From all over the world. Can you please send me the permission.

PS: the people of the world should know this, so they can live a better and Healthier life. I am on quest to help this and the next generation. I hope you will join me on the quest. Thank You Paul

I love this saying (“The duty of a good Cuisinier is to transmit to the next generation everything he has learned and experienced.”
Fernand Point, 1941)
    So I am not the only that believes in this Chef Paul

This the fifth time I have tried to in touch with you and it address under deliverable, and no email address send to.

I hope some one get this and pass it on to the right department . Thank You Chef Paul

If I do not hear from you within 2 week I will put it in as public domain under the copyright law TX 6-17. Under Derivative work or compilation and Preexisting Material. SEE ATTACH FILE

I do not want to do this. I want your permission (blessing) on this on this quest to save our next generation.

I only using 1 of your articles. My book will go world wide, and the people will go back to your website for more information.
    We have to CARE FOR OUR NEXT GENERATION, WE MESSED UP OUR GENERATION SO WE HAVE TRY TO OUR NEXT GENERATION.
    SO WILL YOU PLEASE GRANT ME PERMISSION TO USE YOUR ARTICLES.
    THANK YOU CHEF PAUL J. HINTERSTEINER

I do give up

Hi. How do I get the permission to use your articles, in my books, I do not use parts or brake down any parts of the articles. That would a dishonor to the author of the article the writer did all the research for it. I put the articles in that way the author wrote it. I am just presenting the facts as the author wanted it to be presented, also with the website and the writers name on it the same as in the articles.
    My books is very big it is an encyclopedia presenting all the information on alI the different fruits of the world for the next generation. On how to history, what it looks like, how to prepare it, eat it, and the vitamins and minerials it has to help to the body stay healthier. Also helping the in such as diseases as high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, etc., and the dangerous effects it has on the body. don’t you want to help.
    In the 77 articles I have from you, it gives a lot of the information to help this and our next generation to live healthier then we did. I do not have everything you have on this matter I am only using 1,000 % of all the great stuff you have. They will go to your website for more information so they can help themselves to stay healthy. (PS is is free advertising for eHow website)
    I can help you do what you are golds are, My books will go world wide, and the people will come back to your webpage for more info on fruits because you are always upgrading it which I can not do, I am only 71, the people will seek you out for more info, We are in the 21 century now and the thing are changing now.
    I am positive you will give me the permission that you care in helping our next generation. Thank you Chef Paul J. Hintersteiner
    PS: I do give up that easy on your GREAT info which is need to teach an help the people of the furture, I want you to join me in this quest to help. ( REMEMBER SHARING IS CARING)