BEHIND THE WATERMELON: THE YELLOW FLESH

yellowfleshImagine biting into an apple and discovering the inside is blue. Or cutting into an orange and seeing a nice shade of green. It might freak you out a little bit, right? Maybe make you think twice about eating it?

That’s what the Yellow Flesh watermelon is like. The normally pinkish-red flesh we’re used to seeing in watermelon is, well, yellow. But it shouldn’t freak you out because it’s supposed to be that way. And you should definitely eat it because it’s delicious.

The Yellow Flesh – also known as the Yellow Crimson, and the almost identical twin of the red-fleshed Crimson Sweet – is described by some as having a sweeter, almost honey-like taste than regular watermelons. I’ve never had a yellow flesh watermelon, but based on that description, I’m now dying to try one.

Related to the Yellow Flesh is the Desert King Yellow watermelon (with a yellowish, light green exterior and prized for being able to grow in dry conditions), the Yellow Flesh Black Diamond watermelon, the Tastigold watermelon and a few other similar varieties. You can read more about the yellow fleshed family here.

What’s funny is, from the outside, the Yellow Flesh looks just like any other watermelon. It might actually make for a nice little prank, substituting your mother or cousin’s traditional watermelon with one of these varieties and then enjoying the show while they cut into it for the first time. Okay, maybe it’s not that funny, but I’d get a chuckle out of it.

Comments

1. Penny Grace says:

I purchased a “moon and stars” yellow flesh watermelon form My Organic Market last summer. It was expensive but it was worth it. It was very sweet; however, I don’t think I will buy a whole one again. I like the red seeded watermelons the best!

2. yella_mellon says:

Haha i just cut into a yellow watermelon and it was so cool. It was definitely a suprise, but it tasted pretty good.

3. Kim Pennington says:

I accidentally bought one for my daughters party. The kids looked at me funny, but they actually liked it. It was pretty good.

4. Denise says:

I bought another watermelon since the last couple were mushy inspire. And much to my dismay I cut open my new fresh one and it was yellow. I was so frustrated since you really can’t return cut opened fruit. Then I looked it up online and it is normal for some watermelons to be yellow not pink. They look exactly the same on the outside. We tried it and we’re pleasantly surprised.

5. Sunil Varanasi says:

I just got one from Walmart and I got surprised to see yellow…its good and yummy.

6. Jayne says:

Just came back from the shore to Warminster. Did not know I bought a yellow watermelon! Served it at our Democratic Fundraiser Picnic! I hope more people vote against the normal!

Glad to see so many comments from fans of the Yellow Flesh. I’ve tried it recently, too, and it gets a big thumbs up from me!

8. Heather says:

my coworker just brought some in, I thought she was eating pineapple.
    I will have to say this is by far the most delicious fruit I have ever eaten. its definitely sweeter and does have a honey like after taste. I absolutely love it.

9. terry atkinson says:

I was thinking something was wrong with it. But it taste good. Thanks for the information.

10. laura says:

Surprised too! Slightly different seems less sugary but really delicious

11. Robert says:

I bought what I thought was going to be a seedless watermelon, and cut it open to find it yellow. I thought it was rotten maybe. But no this was the best watermelon I have had all year. I purchased mine at the Navy Commissary in Charleston SC. My wife and kids refuse to eat it, but there loss because it very very good.

12. Kay says:

Love watermelon. Very surprised to see bright lemon looking yellow color. Very good.
    Purchased at walmart.

13. Loraine says:

I went to our Farmer’s Market in Prescott, AZ and thought I had picked out a regular watermelon and found that it was yellow inside. My husband and me truly like the taste better than the red. It has a honey sweet taste.

14. goodfoodeveryday.wordpress says:

Seems they are appearing everywhere, we jad a bright yellow one today in Malta, was delicious….

15. Charles Bodenheimer says:

My first year growing melons and pumpkins. I harvested my first jubilee a few weeks ago but got my first “yellowhammer”today. Since I’m from Alabama and it’s the brother of the Crimson Sweet. Was very sweet and had an onion like flavor near the rind due to weld onions nearby and only thing pollinating is wasps, but that flavor gave way to a honey flavor immediately. Waiting on my Charleston Greys, Crimson Sweets, Sugar Babies, and my hybrid jubilee/sugar babies to grow.

16. Melon Man says:

I was surprised and loved it. When I first opened it, it was one of those “What the ….”

17. Susan says:

I recently had my first yellow watermelon! Yummy! One of the workers at the produce store recommended it, and she also said to eat the rind as well. She showed me a cut section and pointed out how the rind is very thin – not like other watermelons with a thick skin. Wow – it was fantastic! Crunchy but not hard at all!

18. Chris says:

I won the watermelon lottery!!
    a friend and I went shopping together, we both bought watermelon’s, except her melons were yellow on the inside. Crazy it’s definitely delicious try it if you get the chance.

Good to hear so many people like the Yellow Flesh! Just goes to show that no matter what the color on the inside, watermelon is always good!

20. Kasi says:

Thank you for sharing this info. When I cut open my watermelon today I also got a yellow surpise!
    I thought I had picked a mutant melon, or it was new sour melon variety, or maybe Bunnicula came in the night and sucked the color out of thing! And to our delight it does taste good. Still has the watermelon flavor but it is not as bold, and also not as much sticky juice all over. I’ll try to buy one again if I can find it. Although, as others have said, there was no sticker saying it’s yellow.

21. Katie Hunsperger says:

OMG just cut into one from a local farmers market. Freaked me out, but looked it upon on the Web and found this article so we gave it a try. It is absolutely delicious!!!!!

22. Crystal says:

My dad planted some when I was a kid. They were amazing! Best watermelon I’ve ever tasted.

23. Alexus says:

hey, Have you tried the watermelon yet? It sounds really good. I have not had one but i think i have to try now. let me know how it is!

24. Mike Watkins says:

Never had a yellow watermelon, but according to people I know that has had one told me that it is delicious.Where can I look to buy one.We have stores such as
    the Mustard Seed markets.But where else? Thank you, Mike W.

Hi Mike, you can check anywhere that offers fresh watermelons. Try contacting the produce manager at your local grocery store, or you could always try to find local farmers’ markets! Happy hunting!

26. funny me says:

I just ate a yellow watermelon

27. Kathleen says:

What a surprise! I got mine in Tempe Arizona at the local fries. Thought I was getting a regular red seedless melon. Flesh is yellow, Crisp, sweet, andINCREADABLY juicy! Inside almost looks like a squash – hollow with seeds and literally a’ water’ melon – a pool of juice in the hollow Center

28. Leslie says:

When I was a child we found watermelons growing wild in Amarillo, TX. We tended the plants until the watermelons were good size, and lost one to a watermelon thief. We got the smaller one and when Mama cut it open it was yellow inside. We were surprised, but it tasted as good (or better) than a red one. That was 48 years ago and I’ve never seen another one.

29. daniel says:

If you are ever in southern n.j. pick up one of these sweet juicy yellow or orange watermellons you will never want a red mellon again !!!!?!

30. Maryanne says:

I saved seed from a watermelon I bought at the Kanata Farmers’ Market from 3 years ago. I planted them this spring and just cracked one open. Surprise! A yellow baby – and a very yummy one.